Ask your butcher to bone the leg of lamb: it is essential to order in advance, especially at Easter time.
- 1.5 kg (3 - 3 1/2 lb) leg of lamb, boned
- 250 g (9 oz) sausage meat
- 100 g (4 oz) shelled walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Put the sausage meat in a bowl together with the walnuts, parsley, nutmeg and half the rosemary. Season to taste and mix well.
- Pack the stuffing into the boned cavity of the lamb, then secure with a trussing needle and fine string or meat skewers.
- Place the lamb, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting tin and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with foil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 170C/325F/Gas 3 and roast for a further 1 1/2 hours. Remove the foil for the final 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter, remove the string or skewers and serve, carved into slices and garnished with parsley.